Headache disorders are one of the most common conditions affecting the nervous system. There are many types of headaches – tension, cluster, and migraine to name a few. All of these different headache types comes with its own hallmark symptoms, but the one thing they have in common is the painful and disabling headache component.
Whether you suffer from an occasional headacheik or several per week, the odds are that you turn somewhere for relief. Most people use over the counter medications like Advil to combat the pain; some require more heavy-duty prescription medications to take the edge off the pain. If you’ve been seeking out a more natural approach to addressing your headaches, you might find the following food tips helpful:
- Fatty fish – Rich in vitamins B6, B12, and folic acid, fatty fish such as tuna or salmon can help reduce the number of headaches you might experience.
- Mushrooms – Cremini mushrooms are high in riboflavin (vitamin B2), which has been shown to be helpful for migraine relief. Other foods high in B2 include asparagus and quinoa.
- Ginger – The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger root can help ease the nausea of a migraine. You can blend some in a smoothie or make some ginger tea to help relieve headache pain.
- Watermelon – Water-dense fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, or pineapple can help keep you hydrated, avoiding headaches caused by dehydration.
- Spicy food – Eating spicy foods might help you recover faster from a headache. Spicy foods can help clear the sinuses—helpful for sinus pressure related headaches.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and migraines download our complimentary e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Migraines by clicking the image below.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Looks at the Cause of Headaches
Regardless of what type of a headache you suffer from, it is necessary to get to the root cause of why they keep recurring. Since headaches are known to be a result of nervous system dysfunction, we start by looking to the nervous system for answers. Upper cervical chiropractic addresses obstructions to the function of the central nervous system that originate from a critical area—your brainstem. By addressing misalignments of the atlas (C1) and axis (C2) vertebrae, which sit just beneath the skull, we are able to detect and remove any obstructions to normal nervous system function.
In many of our patients who came to see us because of their headaches, once the atlas (or axis) misalignment is corrected, the compromised nerves, blood vessels, and other tissues are allowed to heal, restoring normal function. Best of all, the upper cervical chiropractic approach is completely natural, and because it addresses the underlying dysfunction of the nervous system, we are able to achieve long-lasting results.
To schedule a consultation call (808) 638-1313 or simply click the button below.